A Samhain Night Like This- October 25, 2023

"A NIGHT LIKE THIS" Samhain event, October 25, 2023

 Setlist:

Buck-Tick- KISS ME GOODBYE

Clan of Xymox- Lovers

6XT7- Dead Bride

Lebanon Hanover- Kiss Me Until My Lips Fall Off 

Nightcrawler- My Worst Enemy Is Myself (Feat Deus Ex Lumina)

Anders Manga- Blood From Roses

The Ink Bats- Caves

COLD CAVE- Promised Land 

Bauhaus- Double Dare

PRIEST- A Signal in the Noise

Dread Risks- Trace Amounts

Third Realm- She's My Addiction

Teknovore- Morbus Gravis (feat. Keeva Leo of SIRIUS)

Cerulean Veins- Hex Me  

The day before, I found out that the vocalist of BUCK-TICK, Atsushi Sakurai passed away. It hit me really hard, not only because I'm a fan of his music, but because so many of my artist friends considered him a muse. The howls of grief yesterday were so resonant and aching.

I also wrote up the article announcing his death on the site I work for.

When I first saw the news, I felt numb, and in shock. However as I wrote down the facts surrounding his death, and constructed an article, the emotions started to seep in. 

Completely calm and collected, I wrote the article—I read the news and our in-house translation. I noted the facts as endless messages of mourning flooded my news feed on all social media outlets. My friends were weeping as I typed out the news.  

I so wanted to include the numerous messages in my feed grieving the loss of him. 

I saved my draft, sure everything was in place. Then I walked away, showered, got dressed, and even put on makeup. I thought if I gilded myself then I could keep up my guard. Then I sat down, proofread and fact checked everything once again, and published the article.

I shouldn't have put makeup on. My mascara leaked down my face as I read the comments from our readers. 

After publishing the article, I went to my favorite cafe. I had a seasonal dish and ate it solemnly while my son played in the play yard. I brought my sketchbook and watercolors. I filled the small dish I brought with me with water and started painting the late Atsushi Sakurai.

I'm not an accomplished artist. It may not even be his likeness. But it was therapeutic, listening to BUCK-TICK while painting him. 

Goodbye for now, Sakurai-san. You were a pioneer of the visual kei genre and contributed to the foundation of bands that I love. 

Tonight, I played BUCK-TICK's "Kiss me goodbye" for you first. Rest in peace.
 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Free virtual event "A Samhain Night Like This" chills your spine on October 25

How I curate my music

The Human Chair and other curiosities